As we get older, sadly, we can’t eat like we once did and heartburn may become a problem, particularly during the nighttime hours.
The experts say these foods can be part of the problem:
- Spicy Foods
- Fatty Foods
- Spearmint or Peppermint (Who knew?)
The first rule in relieving the discomfort is: don’t go to bed on a full stomach!
Other things that might help:
- Lose weight (which eases the pressure on your stomach)
- Elevate your head – if you can, your head should be about 6 to 8 inched above your body to help prevent reflux
- Minimize your meals – Try eating smaller portions more frequently
- If you smoke, stop – tobacco smoke can weaken the gateway between your stomach and esophagus.