Because of frequent use, overuse and misuse, more and more viruses are becoming resistant.
Here are some simple tips from medical professionals that can help keep antibiotics doing their job longer:
- Wash your hands frequently – It’s still one of the most effective ways to cut down on the spread of viruses.
- Don’t take someone else’s antibiotics – Your friends or family members may mean well, but specific viruses need different antibiotics. The type and amount of antibiotics to take is always best left to a physician.
- Take your antibiotics as prescribed – Not taking them all can breed antibiotic resistance
- Choose foods that are raised antibiotic-free – This is one area where overuse may be having a counterproductive effect.
- Don’t assume you need an antibiotic – There are many viruses that really require other types of treatment.